Main Article Content
This study intends to find out the influent of students’ reading ability through extensive reading and to find out the result of using various text in reading activities. This research using classroom action research. Consists of two cycles. Technique collecting data used in this research is a mixed-method (qualitative and quantitative). The technique of analyzing data used is descriptive analysis. The result of this research showed the development of students reading ability through extensive reading. Use two types of extensive reading, i.e., skimming and superficial. By using three-technique of extensive reading that is skipping, skimming and scanning. Extensive reading conducted in the first cycle and second cycle. Based on the research result from pre-cycle until post cycle, students’ reading ability was increased 50,4 %.
- Amalia, N. (2017). The improvement of the students’ ability in reading comprehension through extensive reading at grade XI Madrasah Aliyah Swasta Al-Washliyah 21 firdaus 2016/2017. State Islamic University of North Sumatera.
- Arafa, S. M. (2018). Improving Vocabulary Mastery through Extensive Reading for Grade X Students of SMAN 1 Sewon. Sanata Dharma.
- Bell, T. (1998). Extensive reading: Why? and how. The Internet TESL Journal, IV(12).
- Creswell, J. W. (2002). Educational research: Planning, conducting, and evaluating quantitative. Prentice Hall Upper Saddle River, NJ.
- Day, R., Bassett, J., Bowler, B., Parminter, S., Bullard, N., Furr, M., … Robb, T. (2016). Extensive Reading, revised edition-Into the Classroom. Oxford University Press.
- Meng, F. (2009). Developing Students’ Reading Ability through Extensive Reading. English Language Teaching, 2(2), 132–137.
- Mills, G. E. (2000). Action research: A guide for the teacher researcher. ERIC.
- Pardo, L. S. (2004). What every teacher needs to know about comprehension. The Reading Teacher, 58(3), 272–280.
- Samadi, F., & Aziz Mohammadi, F. (2013). The interaction between Iranian EFL learners’ interest in reading comprehension topics and their reading comprehension ability. European Online Journal of Natural and Social Sciences, 2(2s), pp-101.
- Sulistianingsih, E. (2018). Multimedia Learning: An Activity Based Computer to Develop Reading Comprehension. Lingual: Journal of Language and Culture, 6(2). https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.24843/LJLC.2018.v06.i02.p01.