Main Article Content
The objective of this research is to find out the effect of the Picture Word Inductive Model on students’ writing skills in writing descriptive text. The Picture Word Inductive Model is a great strategy for teaching writing, especially writing descriptive text. Quantitative analysis is applied to draw findings of this research by using pre-experimental research in which the pretest and posttest design is adopted. The sample of this research is 31 students of junior high school. The data of the research is collected through writing tests distributed before and after the treatment. The improvement of the mean value of pretest and posttest is used to analyze the impacts on students’ writing ability. Further, the T-test is used to prove the hypothesis to reveal the effectiveness of the model in teaching writing descriptive text. The result shows that the Picture Word Inductive Model (PWIM) is effective to teach writing descriptive text and it gives a positive effect on students’ writing skills.
- Alawi, F. F. (2011). Imroving Students‟ Ability in Writing.
- Brown, H. D. (2004). Language Assesment Principles and Classroom Practices.
- New York: Pearson Education.
- Calhoun, E. F. (1999). Beginning Reading and Writing with the Picture Word Inductive Model. Development. Alexandria: Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.
- Creswell, J. W. (2012). Educational Research: Planning, Conducting and Evaluating Quantitative and Qualitative Research (4th ed). United Stated of America: Pearson.
- Fitri, I., Eripuddin, & Pipit, R. (2017). An Analysis of the Students‟ Skill in Writing Descriptive Text at the Eighth Grade of SMPN 7 Tambusai Utara. Jurnal Mahasiswa Prodi Bahasa Inggris UPP, 3(1), 1–6. Retrieved from https://www.neliti.com/id/publications/109729/an-analysis-of-the-students- skill-in-writing-descriptive-text-at-the-eighth-grad
- Knapp, P., & Watkins, M. (2005). Genre, text, grammar: technologies for teaching and assessing writing. Australia: University of New South Wales
- Press Ltd. Retrieved from www.unswpress.com.au
- Kurniawati, dewi, & Khhomariyah, S. (2018). Using Picture Word Inductive Model (Pwim) in Teaching Writing Recount-Text. English Education: Jurnal Tadris Bahasa Inggris, 11(1), 35–52.
- Meliasari, R., Ngadiso, & Marmanto, S. (2018). Picture Word Inductive Model : Its Effectiveness to Teach Writing Viewed from Students‟ Interest, 2(3), 248–258.
- Nunan, D. (2003). Practical English Laguage Teaching. (D. Nunan, Ed.) (First Edit). United Stated: McGraw-Hill.
- Oshima, A., & Hogue, A. (2005). Writing Academi English. Pearson.
- Palmer, S. (2003). How to Teach Writing Across yhe Curriculum at Key Stage 1. NewYork: David Fultan Publishers.
- Palmer, S. (2001). How to teach writing across the curriculum at key stage 2. David Fulton Publishers.
- Prastika, W., Setiawati, E. E., & Sumekto, D. R. (2018). Analyzing the eleventh-year-students’ descriptive writing skills documented in the academic year of 2017-2018. English Focus: Journal of English Language Education, 1(2), 108–118.
- Taufiqulloh, T., Yuvita, Y., & Sulistianingsih, E. (2018). Analysis of student attitudes to develop a self-assessment model of genre-based writing class. Lingua Cultura, 12(3), 253–258.
- Yulianawati, I. (2018). An Analysis of Students’ Difficulties in Writing Recount Text (A Case Study at a Senior High School in Indramayu). English Focus: Journal of English Language Education, 2(1), 46–59.
- Patel, M. F., & Jain, P. M. (2008). English Language: Methods, Tools & Techniques. Jaipur: Sinrise.
- Pino Juste, M., & Rodríguez López, B. (2010). Learning Strategies in Higher Education. The International Journal of Learning: Annual Review, 17(1), 259–274. https://doi.org/10.18848/1447-9494/CGP/v17i01/46813
- Richards, J. c., & Renandya, W. A. (2002). Methodology in Language Teaching(J. C. Richards & W. A. Renandya, Eds.) (4th Editio). New York: Cambridge University Press. Retrieved from www.cambridge.org/9780521808293
- Saglam, O., & Milanova, V. (2013). How do qualitative and quantitative research differ? Switzerland.
- Sepyanda, M. (2014). The Effect of Picture Word Inductive Model (PWIM) and Students‟ Self-Eficacy toward Their Writing Skill of Descriptive Texts at Grade X of SMA Negeri 1 IX Koto Sungai Lasi, 7(2), 113–120. Retrieved from http://ejournal.unp.ac.id/index.php/linguadidaktika/index
- Spronken, Smith, R. (2007). Experiencing the Process of Knowledge Creation: The Nature and Use of Inquiry-Based Learning in Higher Education, 1–17.
- Weigle, S. C. (2002). Assesing Writing. England: Cambridge University Press.