Main Article Content
This study was a classroom action research that deals with story mapping strategy usage in enhancing the reading comprehension of students in narrative text. The aim of the study was to reveal the implementation of this strategy in learning narrative, and also to explain the understanding of reading after using the classroom story mapping strategy. The participants were all grade VIII.5 students of SMP Negeri 1 Tembilahan Hulu. The qualitative data collection methods used an observation sheet, an interview, and a field note. The quantitative is a test. It is noticed on the basis of data analysis that story mapping strategy improved the comprehension of reading in the narrative text by students. In cycle 1 and cycle 2, the changes occurred. The reading comprehension enhancement for students in cycle 1 was 60.3 (enough) to 77.4 (good) in cycle 2. The outcome indicates that for grade VIII.5 students, the use of the story mapping strategy is an effective strategy in improving the students’ comprehension of reading a narrative text. The variables that modify student enhancement depending on the interview and observation outcomes reflect the excitement of students when using story mapping sheets in the story mapping strategy.
- Ahmadi, M. R., & Hairul, N. I. (2012). Reciprocal Teaching as an Important Factor of Improving Reading Comprehension. Journal of Studies in Education, 2(4), 153-173
- Anggraeyni, F., Salam, U., & Suhartono, L. (2012). Improving Students’ Reading Comprehension in Finding Elements Story through Story Mapping Strategy. 1–8.
- Cullen, C., & Metatla, O. (2019). Co-designing Inclusive Multisensory Story Mapping with Children with Mixed Visual Abilities. Proceedings of the 18th ACM International Conference on Interaction Design and Children, IDC 2019, 361–373. https://doi.org/10.1145/3311927.3323146
- Kisfinata, R., Ariani, M., & Sukmaantara, I. P. (2013). The Effect of Using Story Mapping Technique on Reading Comprehension Achievement of the Eighth Year Students at MTs. Negeri Bangsalsari. Pancaran, 2, no, 97.
- Klinger, Janette K. (2007). Teaching Reading to Students with Learning Difficulties. New York.The Guilford Press
- Kustaryo, Sukirah (1988). Reading Techniques for College Students. Jakarta: Proyek Pengembangan Lembaga Pendidikan tenaga Kependidikan
- National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. (2000). Report of the National Reading Panel. Teaching Children to Read: An evidence-based assessment of the scientific research literature on reading and its implications for reading instruction: Reports of the subgroups (NIH Publication No. 00-4754). C: U.S. Government Printing Office
- Ratvon, Natalie. (2008). Effective School Interventions. The Guilford Press. New York.
- Ridwan. (2009). Dasar-Dasar Statiska. Cetakan ketujuh. Bandung. Alfabeta.
- Sholichah, N. I. (2017). The Effect of Story Mapping on Reading Comprehension. INTAJ : Jurnal Penelitian Ilmiah, 1(1), 29–48. https://doi.org/10.35897/intaj.v1i1.43