Main Article Content
This study aimed to analyze the students’ obstacles when writing a thesis proposal. Subjects of this study were 20 learners in the English Language Education Study Program at Hamzanwadi University in the academic year 2020-2021. The data were collected by using a questionnaire with 27 items to obtain students’ opinions about their problems in writing a thesis proposal. A descriptive quantitative design was used in this research. Having revealed the research analysis, it was found that the participants experienced four types of obstacles: 1) describing data analysis (40 %), 2) finding relevant references (60 %), 3) lack of vocabulary (50 %), and 4) writing theoretical and framework (45 %). To solve the learners’ problems in accomplishing the thesis proposal, there are some suggestions. Students should learn more about grammar and practice how to arrange qualified thesis and read various books to get new vocabulary. The advisors should give a detailed and specific explanation to make sure the students understand the explanation.
- Alfaki, I. M. (2015). University Studenst’English Writing Problems: Diagnosis and Remedy.
- Azizah, U. A., & Budiman, A. (2018). Challenges in writing academic papers for international publication among Indonesian graduates students. JEELS (Journal of English Education and Linguistics Studies), 4(2), 175–198.
- Azizatuzzahroh, A. U., & Solikhah, I. (2018). The obstacles on writing thesis proposal faced by english education students of IAIN Surakarta in the Academic Year of 2013/2014. State Islamic Institute.
- Biggam, J. (2018). EBOOK: Succeeding with your Master’s Dissertation: A Step-by-Step Handbook: Step-by-step Handbook. McGraw-Hill Education (UK).
- Brundage, A. (2017). Going to the sources: A guide to historical research and writing. John Wiley & Sons.
- Cahyono, B. Y., & Widiati, U. (2015). The teaching of EFL vocabulary in the Indonesian context: the state of the art. TEFLIN Journal, 19(1), 1–17.
- Creswell, J. W., & Creswell, J. D. (2017). Research design: Qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods approaches. Sage publications.
- Davies, M. B., & Hughes, N. (2014). Doing a successful research project: Using qualitative or quantitative methods. Macmillan International Higher Education.
- De Vries, H., Bekkers, V., & Tummers, L. (2016). Innovation in the public sector: A systematic review and future research agenda. Public Administration, 94(1), 146–166.
- Fareed, M., Ashraf, A., & Bilal, M. (2016). ESL learners’ writing skills: Problems, factors and suggestions. Journal of Education and Social Sciences, 4(2), 81–92.
- Fillmore, L. W., & Snow, C. E. (2018). 1. What Teachers Need to Know About Language. Multilingual Matters.
- Fink, A. (2019). Conducting research literature reviews: From the internet to paper. Sage publications.
- Flick, U. (2015). Introducing research methodology: A beginner’s guide to doing a research project.
- Foley, G., & Timonen, V. (2015). Using grounded theory method to capture and analyze health care experiences. Health Services Research, 50(4), 1195–1210.
- GURL, E. (2017). SWOT analysis: A theoretical review.
- Hamidova, S. (2020). Vocabulary Helps to Enhance of English Leraning: A word is a microcosm of human consciousness. Архив Научных Публикаций JSPI.
- Hart, C. (2018). Doing a literature review: Releasing the research imagination.
- Hayot, E. (2014). The elements of academic style: Writing for the humanities. Columbia University Press.
- Heppner, P. P., Wampold, B. E., Owen, J., & Wang, K. T. (2015). Research design in counseling. Cengage Learning.
- Hourani, T. M. Y. (2008). An analysis of the common grammatical errors in the English writing made by 3rd secondary male students in the Eastern Coast of the UAE.
- Irwandi, I. (2019). The problem faced in writing thesis by eighth semester students of english education program fkip-umm in academic the students’problems in writing an undergraduate thesis: a case study at english language teaching program of Muhammadiyah University of Mataram. Linguistics and ELT Journal, 5(2), 37–42.
- Krippendorff, K. (2018). Content analysis: An introduction to its methodology. Sage publications.
- Krosnick, J. A. (2018). Questionnaire design. In The Palgrave handbook of survey research (pp. 439–455). Springer.
- Kumar, R. (2018). Research methodology: A step-by-step guide for beginners. Sage.
- Locke, L. F., Spirduso, W. W., & Silverman, S. J. (2013). Proposals that work: A guide for planning dissertations and grant proposals. Sage Publications.
- Mishra, P., Pandey, C. M., Singh, U., Gupta, A., Sahu, C., & Keshri, A. (2019). Descriptive statistics and normality tests for statistical data. Annals of Cardiac Anaesthesia, 22(1), 67.
- Mutofa, M. I. (2019). The analysis of cultural content in efl textbooks used at SMA IT IQRA’and SMK N 1 grade x Bengkulu city. A THESIS. IAIN BENGKULU.
- Nation, P., & Meara, P. (2013). 3 Vocabulary. In An introduction to applied linguistics (pp. 44–62). Routledge.
- Ng, C. F., & Ng, P. K. (2015). A review of intrinsic and extrinsic motivations of ESL learners. International Journal of Languages, Literature and Linguistics, 1(2), 98–105.
- Osanloo, A., & Grant, C. (2016). Understanding, selecting, and integrating a theoretical framework in dissertation research: Creating the blueprint for your “house.” Administrative Issues Journal: Connecting Education, Practice, and Research, 4(2), 7.
- Ott, R. L., & Longnecker, M. T. (2015). An introduction to statistical methods and data analysis. Cengage Learning.
- Ruslan, I., Sunubi, A. H., Halidin, A., & Kaharuddin, A. (2020). Paraphrasing Technique To Develop Skill for English Writing Among Indonesian College Students of English. Sys Rev Pharm, 11(11), 291–297.
- Septiani, R. (2014). The Correlation between Grammar Mastery and Writing Ability. Unpublished Master’s Thesis. UIN Syarif Hidatullah, Jakarta.
- Staples, S., & Reppen, R. (2016). Understanding first-year L2 writing: A lexico-grammatical analysis across L1s, genres, and language ratings. Journal of Second Language Writing, 32, 17–35.
- Tran, T. Q. (2020). EFL Students’ Attitudes towards Learner Autonomy in English Vocabulary Learning. English Language Teaching Educational Journal, 3(2), 86–94.
- Tresnawati, F., & Musthafa, B. (2016). Expressive writing in minimizing students’ public speaking anxiety. Advances in Social Science, Education and Humanities Research.
- Turabian, K. L. (2013). A manual for writers of research papers, theses, and dissertations: Chicago style for students and researchers. University of Chicago Press.
- Webb, S., & Nation, P. (2017). How vocabulary is learned. Oxford University Press.
- Wee, B. Van, & Banister, D. (2016). How to write a literature review paper? Transport Reviews, 36(2), 278–288.